So you are finally ready for a baby but…Getting frustrated with how long it’s taking actually get pregnant?
Here are some witty at home pregnancy hacks that may help.
Deciding the appropriate time and making the decision to have a baby can be laborious and a complex decision but once the decision is made and you are mentally ready, most couples find that the pressure builds fast and it doesn’t take much for frustration, doubt and angst to set in.
Here are a few tips that can give you a head start and set you up for success.
1. Manage your expectations. You have probably heard the stories from friends about how they got pregnant the very first month. While this is true for some lucky couples, it’s not the norm. Most planned pregnancies take anywhere from 3 to 12 months. The chance of getting pregnant with each month of trying is about 20%.
2. Ideally you want to continue to use whatever birth control method you are using until you are ready to start trying. Using oral contraceptives and intrauterine devices do not prolong the trial time. Depo Provera, the 3 month shot on the other hand can prolong the trial time anywhere from 3 to 24 months!
3. Start eating healthy and exercise regularly and take prenatal vitamins, vitamin D and DHA. Get your sleep schedule straighten out. Working long shifts at night can disrupt our cycles to try to work a day time schedule if you can and go to bed at a reasonable time.
4. Take a Yoga or Pilates class or try some form of meditation regularly to keep your stress levels low. Stress can affect chances of pregnancy forming so do whatever you have to do to keep calm and balanced.
5. Get an App for tracking your menses and use ovulation predictor kits (OPT) during the week that the App has you ovulating to pin point exactly when it’s happening. P-Tracker is a good one.
6. Once you have a good sense when it’s happening, have timed intercourse every other day during the week of ovulation.
7. Missionary position and doggy style are better for conception than most other position. Don’t jump out of bed as soon as it’s over. Continue lie down and put a pillow behind you butt to elevate or bend your knees and bring your legs up to your chest for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Sometimes the reason for delay or difficulty conceiving is due to an issue with sperm so having a partner who is a nonsmoker, vested and ready to eat healthy, cut back on alcohol and keeping the precious jewels loose and at room temperature (no hot tubs) helps.
9. When here is suspicion or concern that there may be an issue with the sperm, such as low count or motility, some women have had success using Conception cups (a cervical cup much like the Diva cup) filled with up by a partner and inserted at the time of ovulation.
10. If there is no success after 6 to 12 month of trying, consider seeing an Obstetrician/Gynecologist for help. Depending on your age and your timeline, you may choose to do this sooner.
The awesome doctors at Annandale OB/GYN are here to help!