With so many facets to prenatal care, your journey to motherhood is often more confusing and conflicting than it needs to be.
From diets for pregnancy to exercise and supplements, you want to do right by your body and your baby, ensuring proper nutrition. Here are the foods to love during your pregnancy, as well as top foods to avoid during this special time.
Foods to Enjoy
A varied, nutritious diet is crucial for both you and baby. Welcome these delicious foods during your pregnancy:
- Avocados for a boost in vitamins and healthy fats
- Berries for an increase in antioxidants, vitamin C, fiber and water
- Certain well-cooked seafoods, such as salmon, shrimp, catfish and a few others, limited to two or three servings per week
- Dairy products, such as yogurt, cheese and milk, for extra protein and calcium
- Thoroughly washed fruits and veggies, of course
- Water, which isn’t a food of course but very important to your diet
Foods to Avoid
Don’t worry, there aren’t as many restrictions as you’d think. If anything, it’s more about food preparation safety rather than food restriction. Here’s what you need to avoid:
- Excessive caffeine, keep it to less than 200mg a day
- Excessive processed junk food, offering empty calories and no nutrition
- Seafood high in mercury, such as swordfish, bigeye tuna, king mackerel, and marlin to name a few
- Undercooked fish, meat, eggs, and poultry
- Unpasteurized foods and liquids
Looking for Help With Diets for Pregnancy? Let Our OB/GYNs Take the Guesswork Out of Prenatal Nutrition!
There is an overwhelming amount of diets for pregnancy, making it difficult to decide which one is best for you. It’s time to stop guessing and start calling Annandale Ob-Gyn for an expert team with expert advice!
Contact us at 703-642-7522 for all your OB/GYN needs.