It’s only natural that you’re nervous about your upcoming appointment, finding yourself wondering, “How do I prepare for my first gynecology visit?”
Here’s what you need to know, what to bring, and what you can expect!
How Do I Prepare for My First Gynecology Visit? Do I Need to Do Anything Special?
Thankfully, your gynecology visit won’t require a whole lot of prep work. So, already, you can begin to relax.
All that’s required of you is to show up on time, bathed, and with all the necessary information for your appointment. This includes a form of ID, insurance information, and the dates of your previous menstrual cycles.
It really is that easy. Don’t stress about the extras, such as grooming, because it’s entirely unnecessary and oftentimes not recommended, especially douching or waxing. These known irritants can disrupt your hormones, discharge, or flora, making it difficult for your gynecologist to gain good insight into your health. This is a judgment-free zone, so there is no need to feel self-conscious about hair, appearance, or any other concerns.
How Can I Settle My Nerves About My First Visit?
Understanding why a gynecologist visit is important and what to expect during it helps settle your nerves quite a lot. Knowledge is power after all!
Your feminine health is connected to the health of other areas in your body. Maintaining and monitoring your health is incredibly important for a number of reasons. Many women who are sexually active may require STI screening. Women with a family history of breast or cervical cancer may want to monitor their own cancer status.
There are a lot of good reasons to visit your gynecologist, even if it’s just your annual exam. Speaking of your exam, what’s involved? There’s not necessarily a typical visit. It’ll look different for women of different ages and circumstances.
If you’re under 21, chances are you won’t require a pelvic exam or pap smear unless you are sexually active or have specific concerns. Otherwise, you can expect both a pelvic and breast exam, as well as thorough discussion about your health, medical conditions, current medications, and more.
What Are Some Tips I Should Keep in Mind?
While there isn’t a lot you need to do prior to your visit, there are some tips you should know before your first gyno exam to help make the process less stressful on yourself.
- Avoid having sex the night prior to your appointment, especially if you will have a pelvic exam.
- Be prepared to talk about some rather intimate subjects, such as birth control, discharge, sexual activity, periods, family health history, and more.
- Bring info on your current medications, health conditions, and health history if possible with you.
- Honesty is the best policy, so don’t be afraid to answer or ask questions, even the uncomfortable ones, or talk about anything you’re concerned about.
- Keep track of your menstrual cycle if possible. Your gynecologist will ask questions about it.
- Remember that this is a judgment-free zone and that you are in control of the situation. Your gynecologist should do everything possible to make you feel at ease.
- Try not to make an appointment during your period if possible, but it’s not necessary to cancel if you are bleeding.
Visit Annandale Ob-Gyn for Exceptional Women’s Healthcare Throughout Your Lifetime!
With all the stress revolving around, “How do I prepare for my first gynecology visit,” allow our exceptional team at Annandale Ob-Gyn to provide tranquility and guidance! We provide personalized care and an understanding, welcoming environment to help you feel at ease.
Contact us today at 703-642-7522 to book your stress-free visit at one of our multiple offices!