Answers to FAQs Before Your Same-Day Mammogram Near Arlington
Mammograms are the most important medical tool used to find breast cancer, typically by your gynecologist, and early detection is important.
We understand going for a mammogram can be a bit intimidating. So, we’ve put together these FAQs to make your visit for a same-day mammogram near Arlington, Virginia a little easier.
How Should I Prepare for My Mammogram?
Follow these steps to ensure the clearest images are taken and to make the visit more comfortable for you:
- Avoid wearing deodorant, powder, lotions, and perfumes under your arm and around / under your breasts.
- Schedule your appointment for one week after your period.
- If you need to, take an OTC pain reliever at least an hour before your test.
- You’ll be asked to undress from the waist up, so wear a two-piece outfit.
- Wear comfortable shoes because you’ll be standing during the test; if you have limitations be sure to tell the radiologist.
- Take off your neck jewelry.
- Be sure you take your medications, as well as eat and drink as you normally do on the day of your appointment.
- Caffeine can make your breasts tender, so avoid it three to four days before your mammogram.
In addition, if you’ve had a previous mammogram, it’s a good idea to have those test results sent to your current doctor. That gives your provider a way to compare and look for any changes in your breasts.
What Should I Expect During My Appointment?
After you check-in for your same-day mammogram near Arlington, Virginia, you’ll be asked to undress from the waist up and you’ll be given a gown. You and a trained technician will be the only people in the room, so there’s no need to feel embarrassed.
The images of your breasts are captured one at a time. The technician will place your breast in between two imaging plates and positioned properly. You will feel some pressure during the test, but it isn’t painful.
Try to relax during the process. The more tense you are, the more discomfort you’ll experience. The entire exam takes around 10 minutes and it goes faster than you think!
How Often Should I Schedule a Same-Day Mammogram Near Arlington, Virginia?
Self-breast exams should be routine, and if you notice any changes, you should immediately schedule a mammogram, even if you’ve had one recently.
Because every person is unique, it’s best to discuss with your doctor how often you should have a mammogram.
There’s No Reason to Wait – Schedule Your Mammogram Today!
Annandale OB-GYN is a full-service state-of-the-art facility that provides the highest-quality gynecological care for women. To schedule your same-day mammogram, please call us today at 703-642-7522.